Re: (ET) Old dealer getting out of the business

Thanks to Geof and his "scouts" I have been in touch with this gentleman and am in the process of buying up what he has. The short version is I have a small garage full of 'stuff', but it is basically all used parts. - he was a collector not a dealer.

It seems that ~20 years ago (he is now around 80!), he was offered an ET in trade for a used gasoline generator. Then he got bit by the bug... as I make things, 25+ ETs have passed through his hands over the years that followed. At this point he has sold off all the complete tractors that he repaired (other than his own magnificent machine... see below). As he stripped the junkers he saved the parts which appeared to have some remaining life - drive motors, mower motors, sheet metal, decks, blowers, blades, relays, etc etc etc.

I feel rather humbled by his skills and toy collection. His basement and various garages are packed with parts and equipment. He at one point had basically his own machine shop set up after 'retirement' and has kept enough tools that I was still drooling. He has a Wheel Horse that he is keeping that is simply gorgeous. He has widened the fenders and make custom rims to mount extra-wide tires (from a Cub Cadet), added a custom weight box (400 pounds?) recessed under the back, added a motor to the snow blower to crank the discharge chute around, and of course given everything a nice paint job. He also has an E12 that he has turned around with the large wheels at the front and added hydraulics to make a fork lift. I only hope I'm half that with it at his age.

Now for the part you all may be wondering... what am I doing with all the 'stuff'? I have several "project" ET's that I had planned to repair and sell as fully functional machines, but I unfortunately started on that adventure just as Bill Gunn went out of business leaving me stranded without needed parts. So I will be picking out the parts I need for my own projects, and then make the extra parts available for sale along with other parts I come up with to substitute for or upgrade the original parts. Stay tuned....

ThompsonG DFO-MPO GC CA wrote:
As you are aware I seem to be pretty good at finding Electraks, well I
may have hit the mother load with this one and it is way to big for me not to share. (First dibs on the Decals ha ha). One of my "scouts" reports that there is an old Electrak dealer in the Albany area or at least that end of New York State, that want to get out of the business.

_________
Jim Coate
1970's Elec-Trak
1992 Chevy S-10 BEV