Re: (ET) "gas pedal" and Wombat comments re: Salvage

Item #1:

A spare parts database is a great idea. I know that I have parts I will
likely never use, but to give them away or sell them just means someone
else
will be storing parts he or she will likely never use. We can optimize the
reuse and minimize the costs of moving parts around the country by making
such a database.

Note well: I'm a big fan of Bill Gunn and I don't mean for this to be a way
to undercut his business. As a reducer/reuser/recycler, though, I'd love
for
there to be easy mechanisms for sharing information about what parts there
are that aren't available from Tech Services. And as a last thought, as we
consider the long view, maybe such a mechanism would make it possible to
co-op inventories of people like Bill, or, more likely, when caches of NOS
parts turn up.

I am working on a PHP3/MySQL interactive database from my bumpersticker
webpage. The mechanism would be almost identical for an on-line parts
registry... anyone with parts could go to the webpage and list it by
filling
out a few boxes in a form. Then it's searchable, sortable, etc., and
requires very little maintenance by any but the participants. How does this
sound?!

I'm sort of libertarian in my views, too, and  free-market kind of guy; I
think that if you own a part it's up to you to sell, trade, or give away,
or
horde as you will! Most people on this list seem to be interested in
keeping
ETs working, so, well, what an opportunity.