Re: (ET) ET No Go

The I-5, which has the wiring configuration of an E-20 DA and later, caught
fire due to an internal short circuit, in one of the batteries in the front
compartment. What a mess! Wiring all gone, heat was so intense that the
sheet metal warped in the front. I purchased a brand new control panel and
wiring harness, complete with all the relays an solenoids from Bill. Then I
purchased the E-20 I am currently using. The three armature resistor
configuration spoiled me. So, when I get rich and famous, the I-5 chassis
gets sent out, dolled up, and gets a heart transplant. The next dream
project that I have in mind is an E-12 M, that I will install a four speed
transaxle, and E-20 CA controls and traction motor into. Just to confuse
people, I also have plans to install the front lift, so that I have my
choice of mower deck locations, and can also use all the other front
mounted
accessories.
     The differences that I have that are unique to the I-5  are the rear
power tap, gussets in the frame, and an additional gusset on the spindles.
The break points on the model type versus wiring type are also blurred.
According to the suffix, my I-5 should have the older, three armature
resistor control, but does not. Bill Gunn verified that such mutants were
built. That is why he will sometimes ask if the instrument panel is plastic
or steel, and where the Cruise Control switch is located, when ordering
parts.

RJ Kanary @ Bandi Bros. Inc.
Member TRNi  Since 1998
ASE® Certified Master Auto Technician