Fwd: RE: (ET) CD Rom etc.

According to the link you included, if the manual
was published prior to
1978 and does not bear a copyright notice then it is
NOT copyright
protected.

"NOTE: Before 1978, federal copyright was generally
secured by the act of publication with notice of
copyright, assuming compliance with all other
relevant statutory conditions. U. S. works in the
public domain on January 1, 1978, (for example, works
published without satisfying all conditions for
securing federal copyright under the Copyright Act of
1909) remain in the public domain under the 1976
Copyright Act. "

 The keywords are "assuming compliance with all other
relevant statutory conditions". Publications prior to
the 1976 copyright act had to be labelled as
copyrighted material or else they were not, and are
considered public property.