Re: (ET) newbie

Larry....  I'm here to confuse things even more....

    The E15 was supposed to be comparable to a 15 hp gas tractor, and the
E20 a 20 hp, and so on.  If we use the rule of thumb that 1 hp electric
equals 3 hp gas, an E15 would need 5 total hp (15/3) electric combined in
all motors.  The 5 hp electric in turn would be 3.8 kw.  Subtract 1.5 kw
for
the traction motor and the remaining 2.3 kw is for large accessories, such
as the snow blower.
    2.3 kw electric is 3 hp electric, and with our 3 to 1 rule of thumb, 9
hp gas.  If you only need 9 hp gas to run a 42 inch snow blower, that's
pretty good, but actually pretty realistic.
    The 1.5 kw for the traction motor is about right, but that is a
continuously rated 1.5 kw.
    Now take the 3 hp electric golf cart motor, which is equivalent of 9 hp
gas.  First, 9 hp is a pretty small motor for any lawn tractor, let alone a
hydrostatic one.  That 3 hp electric is 2.3 kw electric.  Now if we assume
2/3 duty cycle, we can get about 1.53 kw.  The golf cart motor might be OK
is used only for a traction motor AND my assumption that it is good for as
much as 1.5 kw continuous.  As I am unsure of its real duty cycle, I would
only recommend its use for light traction duty.  But if you add the load of
a mower deck or any other accessory, you have a probable overload
situation.
That is why I'd separate traction duty loads from accessory loads by using
separate motors.
    The bigger strike against the golf cart motor is the fact that it is
series wound.  Speed control becomes more difficult with it combined with a
hydrostatic transmission.  With a gear shifting transmission, speed control
would be easier, but a wound field or permag would be best for good speed
control.
    Hope this inspires controversy.

Steve Naugler