RE: (ET) newbie

Steve, I'm puzzled here....

In your reply to Jeff, you mention...

;    4.  Except for light use the 3 hp golf cart motor will probably be too
;light.  Light use would be mowing so long as the mower deck had its own
;motor set.  Even the GE E15 and E20, which had 1.5 kW and 1.8 kW constant
;duty traction motors used separate motors for accessories.  If you simply
;replaced the gas motor with an electric you'd have to size it for
;simultaneously powering the traction and accessory loads.

I agree with your whole post, but 760 Watts mechanical is 1 HP, and with a
normal
conversion efficiency, a good electric motor will do 1 Mechanical HP on
1000 Watts or
1 kW.  I do not know the designed duty cycle for the GE, but might 1.5 &
1.8 kW be
a bit wimpy?  Or was it supposed to be 15 and 18 kW?

BTW, for a good belt-controlled gear transmission, the efficiency is 90 to
95%, for a
hydrostatic it is 65 to 75%, the losses are to heat.  A hydrodynamic
(car-type) automatic
is about 80 to 85%, and a few were used on large Case farm tractors in the
1950's.  The
efficiency penalty is why you never see a hydrostatic on anything but
garden tractors or
bulldozers, where the speed control ability outweighs the efficiency
penalty because you
can get your job done quicker.

Larry Elie