(ET) RE: E20 motor controller

Hello Dwight,
      I modified my E10 and installed a Curtis1204 controller a year ago
and
love it! Since I just mow with it and don't do any snow removal an 1204 was
perfect. I have a foot operated potentiometer that makes it easy and
convenient mowing the yard. The tractor also is much quietier starting out
from a dead stop (no more screaming drive motor).
      For anyone using a PM drive motor as in the smaller tractors just be
sure not to lug it too much by spinning the motor too slow while trying to
mow. Set the tractor up so as to keep your motor rpm close to its rated rpm
while traveling at your normal mowing speed. Its great being able to back
off the pedal as you go around flower beds and then pressing the pedal down
and accelerate away! No more shifting gears or slipping the clutch when
trying to mow around things.
    If you are looking to stay with 36 volts there are basically three
models from Curtis to choose from 1204, 1205, and 1209B. There are also
many
different amperage variations within each of Curtis's models. You can an
1204 with an amp rating of 175 up to 300. The 1204 is small measuring about
6" wide, 8" long and 3" high making it easy to find some where to mount it.
  The 1205 is availiable in amperage up to 400 amps. But the 1205 is 2"
longer than the 1204. The width and height are the same between the two
models at 6" wide and 3" high. It maybe alittle harder to find a place open
enough to install the longer 1205.
   The 1209B is available up to 450amps but is a much bigger controller all
around. The width is just over 7" , the lenght is 10", and the height is
just over 3".  This size of a controller gets a little difficult in finding
ample room to mount it while allowing it to dissipate its heat.
    The choice here depends on how you plan on using the tractor. If its
just mowing and only pulling a yard cart around, the 1204 with an amp
rating
around 175 -225 is plenty. If you plan on using the tractor to work in the
garden and plow snow  and need more amperage, go with an 1205 with the
rating of 300 -400 amps. If you feel you need 300 amps you are better off
go with the bigger 1205 controller than to be pushing the smaller 1204 to
its limits (at 300amps). And If you are a real "Amp Head " go all out with
the 1209B with the 450 amp rating and hold on tight!
  Another thought here also is repair costs. The 1204 and the 1205 are
fairly cheap to have repaired. Test Engineering Services (1-800-842-0333)
charges about $95 to repair an 1204 and $125 to repair an 1205. But they
will not repair an 1209 (or any other bigger Curtis controllers) so you
would have to rely on Curtis for that. Curtis's repair rate on an 1209B is
around $400 (with exchange). So you might want to keep this in mind when
deciding on a controller. Sorry it took me so long to respond but its that
time of the year and I'm sure everyone's just as busy.
                                   Eric & Tracie