Re: (ET) Mulching

Dean A. Stuckmann wrote:

> While I don't normally mulch with my rear discharge E-15, I have
> noticed that does a great job of mulching when I am going backwards.
> (I have one narrow strip that I can't turn around in). I have thick
> grass and I have my doubts about the double blade set up working very
> well. I know its not the same but I have tried recutting areas 3 times
> without much luck of turning it to fine mulch. In any case, no matter
> what method you choose to mulch, you are putting alot of strain on the
> motors. The blades and motors were designed to cut grass by using the
> least amount of energy possible. The blades are thin and have a
> minimal twist to keep that energy wasting vacuum to a minimum. With
> that in mind I would think that motors would be too light duty to
> handle that strain day after day. But if you must mulch, how about
> this... With the front mounted mower, it looks like it would be fairly
> easy to mount the deck backwards on the front of your tractor by
> reversing the mounts and lengthening the power cord. Eventually you
> may want to configure some casters on the new front, but I would try
> it with the minimum amount of modifications to make sure you have
> enough range for your type and size of lawn.
> Dean

I concur that the front mount rear discharge deck DOES mulch well when
the tractor is running backwards.  I do not htink this is true of the
side discharge mower decks.

If you try to do mulching with a front mount mower deck by turning the
deck around so that IT goes backward while the tractor goes forward, be
aware that you can not just disconnect the push arms and lifting strap
and turn the deck around for remounting.  The brackets at the mower deck
surface that accept the push arms on my deck do not allow the arms to
pivot over the top.  The brackets will need to be completely turned
around by unbolting them from the deck and remounting them.  Also, you
will need to do something to put the lifting strap bracket on at the
"new" rear of the deck to allow the deck to be lifted for transport.
Even if you solve these "problems", you will be left with a deck that
has to drag the rollers much more as you make turns and this will cause
at least much more wear on the rollers and may also dig up the yard
some.  Furthermore, the push rods were designed to accept a certain
amount of side-to-side- force as the mower slides around in front of the
tractor.  Switching the deck around will greatly increase such lateral
force and may cause the push arms to fail.

When I got all done looking at the possibilities, I ended up leaving the
deck mounted the original way.  I found three ways to get the "mulching"
done:
        First and obvious, mow more often so that the clippings are finer.
After all, the things ARE fun to drive.
        Second, if you can't do that (due to vacations or work schedule
etc.)
double cut the yard.  For the first cut, raise the deck to its highest
setting and cut the yard.  Then, lower the deck setting to where you
want it, wait a day and cut again.
        Third if neither of the first two solve the problem, wait a couple
of
days to let the clippings dry out enough to turn color so you can
clearly see them and then mulch by driving backward over the worst
parts.  If you are like me, you will find that you do not need to do
this very often and that it gives the neighbors a bit of a kick.

Wayne