Re: model bell

I think the main problem with small bells is that they are very hard to
ring the
same way as large bells. If we get a bell with the slider, stay, and rope
attachment of a real bell, it will take a lot of practice to be able to
ring it
correctly. That would be like the model bell at advent. For ringers, I
think
this is fine because even if we can't ring the bell we know enough about
how it
works to show someone. For non-ringers, I think we would want a bell with
stiffer bearings so that it will ring slower and have less of a tendancy
to go
out of control as soon as you pull it off. The wooden one might be good,
even
if it has to be turned by hand. It obviously isn't a real bell, but it
should
show how a real bell works.

James