RE: Haircuts

Hi Judy,

Same dilemma here, except Isaac's hair is too short and wispy to worry
about yet.  We've trimmed Eva's bangs many, many times, and just let the
rest grow - it's down below her shoulders now.  I think we'll cut it,
too, pretty soon, because it's just not  practical for a baby.  It gets
tangled, it's too easy to pull, it gets food mats in it, etc.  But I
hate to cut it because I love that long, wispy baby hair and once she
has a full hair cut she'll look like a bigger kid...already people think
she's a very tiny 2-year old because of the hair.

I can't imagine a traditional short hair cut for any of my kids, though.
 Jonah often got  mistaken for a girl when he was younger (not anymore
as his hair is shorter and virtually all the girls his age have long
hair and those who don't are mistaken for boys).  It didn't bother him
at all, mostly because he had a framework for understanding sexism that
he got at home.  We introduced the concept related to clothing and color
choices, then it was easy to extend to hair.  If you like long hair, and
are willing to deal with it, then why not just trim their bangs for now
and let the rest grow.  Eventually they will express their own
preferences soon enough.  If you didn't want to trim the bangs, you
could use barrettes, but that always seemed like way too much trouble
for me (plus the problem of attaching a choking hazard directly to the
babies).

We cut her bangs when she was asleep at first, in the carseat so she was
upright but now she doesn't sleep that deeply.  We've had good luck when
she was calm and drowsy after a nap, holding her in a lap.  When she
came along for big brother's haircut, the hairstylist cut her bangs
(much better than we did), and she held perfectly still in my lap, I
think because she was a little intimidated.  You could also try having
one adult read her a book, while another held her and a third trimmed
the bangs, or a video if she would watch.

Nancy