Re: (ET) Working on getting tiller on.

Well, tiller is back together. I pulled the belt, replaced it (not hard as the pulley and gear are on a spring mount so it's just compressing the spring for tension), and since I had the belt cover off I checked the snugness of the 4 bolts that hold the slip clutch to the gear.

This slip clutch is important, it will stop the tines if they are hard jammed (like when I wedged a rock) and will prevent the destruction of the tiller. One of the bolts was loose, two were "snug", one was tight. So I snugged up the loose bolt and brought them all to "snug" levels.

There is a more exact measurement in the manual based on turns, but I wish they had real torque values. Don't want it too tight, but mine was slipping on hard dirt so it had been worked too loose.

Next I replaced the power cord. Amazon had one for a 50 amp range in the 12 foot length which is a bit longer than the factory one, but it's still fine. One of the lugs goes to the circuit breaker, the other goes to a split bolt wrapped in electrical tape. Compare the new one to the old one, make sure you cut and strip the right wire. When done and installed the motion of the tiller should push the tractor "forward".

With that done, I did some more tilling and now I'm taking a break in the summer heat. Will finish up this evening, then till the garden spaces this weekend.