Re: (ET) Working on getting tiller on.

Yep. I should have used that, but I went out to the ACE store and got some 1/16 and 3/32 piano wire. This was an adventure.

Key takeaways:
* Do not use 3/32 wire.Too strong.
* Rear lift motors are different from Buick motors, grind them down.
* Replacing a shredded lift strap is a REAL pain
* Just order a new 10 foot long power cable as yours is shredded.

First I tried the 3/32. It works, but is *stiff. Still I cut and bent a piece to shape, put it on, managed to bend it down, then put the lift on, fired it up, and started tilling.

Tilled several rows and jammed the tines *solid* on a nice rock that wedged between tines and frame. Using a hammer and chisel I knocked it out and noted that when this happens the emergency clutch thing *will* work and slip to keep the motor from destroying everything. Good.

However it's now slipping under albeit heavy tilling loads so I used the lift to raise and lower the tiller with the chain as a gauge backup.

Then I lost forward speed, but that was fixed with a hammer. Finally stopped for the day and took a look at things.

It was then that I realized I had forgotten something VERY IMPORTANT.

The Buick motors have a small boss on the bottom side of the housing which *perfectly* aligns with the lift strap path. Proper rear lift motors have this ground off so there is space for the lift strap. Mine was still there and shredded the lift strap. Which meant I had to take it apart *again* to replace the rear strap and grind down the motor.

After another 2 hours of working on that I got the lift together (removing the strap requires pounding out the axle which will cause a very small key to fall out between the gear and get lost on your workbench) I hooked everything up.

Then I noticed that the super long dryer wire that goes from the front tractor accessory power was frayed and wires exposed which can cause the usual ground fault and nightmare. *UG* Gave up and went in for the day.

Tomorrow is another day and Amazon will deliver me a 50 amp 3 prong range cable.....

Chris