Re: (ET) Pulling bearings on mower motors - Thank You Dean & Chris !

Cool! Glad to hear you got them off, I still have one hub that is totally frozen on and thinking about alternatives. Hate cutting the hub, but it might be the last resort.

I normally put the armature in a vice, not too tight, then put the puller on top and turn with a socket wrench. The vice keeps the armature from turning so the puller doesn't move either. This works for large motors of course, not the small ones.

Tried firing up the destroyed magnet motor and it WORKS. I can't believe it. The new brushes are seriously noisy, need to see if that's the brush or the top bearing. Your idea of running the bearing up against the wire brush of the grinder is a good one, I'll do that.

The other tall thin motor is also... a challenge. The alignment pin on the top broke off so I have to drill that out, more little things to do.

For the brush holder, I just use a small jewelers file to smooth out the inside of the brush assembly and the new brushes slide in with no binding. Important as you don't want them to stick.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the top bearing out of the top brush holder (that's where it went). been soaking in penetrating oil all night will try this evening. Never dull....

Chris