(ET) Mower motor failure and blade balance

Hi,
I’ve been following the recent posts regarding deck motor failures and
feel that much of this is due to constant vibration from improperly
balanced blades.

In 43 years of ET mowing (averaging 2 acres a week for 6 months of the
year) I can only recall a single magnet failure. I use (2) tall motor
decks; one for my lawn and another for vineyards.

I think the secret to my success is using a precision blade balancer. I
use a MAG-1000 and it is amazing.
https://www.magna-matic-direct.com/blade-balancers/
<https://www.magna-matic-direct.com/blade-balancers/>  The deck was much
quieter and I have to believe it extends bearing life as well. Blade
straightness can also be verified.

You may wonder how sensitive it is. In one of their videos they placed a
sliver of paper on a 24” blade and the balancer moved.

I wanted to see if my old unit was still up to the task. So I did a quick
test yesterday and a placed a 1” long piece of electrical tape on an ET
blade tip. The tape made the balancer move! I’ve found that even brand new
OEM blades can have their balance improved with this unit.

Yes, it is expensive but a wise investment in the long run.

Regards,

Dean Stuckmann
5432 County Road U
Newton, WI 53063-9624