Have and use at least one quality charger that is matched to the module voltage - e.g. 6-volts nominal, and preferably with a 'boost' setting. I also like to have a load-tester, micro-flashlight, and cell-filler funnel. (Because I have had a bunch of EVs and some interesting batteries over the years, I have an eclectic bunch of chargers at my disposal.)

Before charging. Open the cell caps on a battery. If the electrolyte level is below the tops of the plates (usually bad news), add distilled water just to the top of the plates - not more. Put the battery on charge and watch the voltage (and if feasible, current). Once a good charge voltage is reached - or you feel you have aged sufficiently waiting - check the electrolyte level in the cells. If cell electrolyte levels are still low (below fill line) top up to fill line with distilled water, and charge some more. If you have not achieved a good voltage on the battery at that point, it's likely scrap. If voltage is good, try the load-tester on the battery. If the voltage sinks like a stone, it's likely scrap. If it passes the load test, it could be worth some additional charge-discharge cycles to see if capacity improves.

Repeat for each battery.

The 'desulphator' units really don't work on 'hard sulphation', which is what you get if a conventional lead-acid battery sits a long time in a discharged state (think a few months). Years is definitely hard sulphation time scale.

But sometimes you get lucky. I have just finished trying to resurrect a couple of 12-volt deep cycle batteries. One is basically OK, the other has likely dropped a cell (shorted). They both carry current, and voltage sag isn't bad under load. I put 10 cycles on each, and capacity gain ended around 8-10 cycles. But, good enough to prove the rest of the vintage e-bike is functional. Neither is showing enough capacity to avoid replacement the next time this machine will see any real service. (I used this to deliver chargers to the post office years ago - before our community decided to redo the roads to be actively bicycle-hostile - sigh). It would be suitable for taking someone or small loads around a warehouse or similar.

I also used to test the electrolyte specific gravity per cell, but over the years I have not found that provides much value (unless you know electrolyte was lost and replaced with water or concentrated electrolyte).

I'm not a fan of the 'battery boilers' for a number of reasons, but that's 'religious war' territory, so I won't expand on that on-list.

Darryl McMahon

On 2023-11-19 9:55 p.m., Frontier Yahoo Mail wrote:
I am looking for a bit of advice on my lead acid battery pack in my N/I EGT-150. The pack wasn't new when I
purchased them about 8-9 years ago. I know it should be time for them to go to the battery graveyard.  This
tractor has been setting for a while due to the OEM F & R Contactors finally giving up. Since replacing those
I have been running the Pulse Tech desulfate charging system on each of the three 12 volt sub packs, (two deep
cycle six volts each). The Pulse Tech system will only work with twelve volts so you just parallel them and it
works great. One sub pack appears to be coming up as it is showing about 25% charge after 3-4 hours of
pulsing.  The other two appear to be complexly dead and show as "bad battery" on the pulse
charger.  As a test I thought I might try to put a surface charge in with my auto charger on each 12 volt
set and then see if the Pulse Tech would help them. On the fast charge one set appears to be taking a small
amount of charge whereas the other one did nothing.  After reconnecting these two back on the Pulse Tech
they still won't begin to disulfate.  I see liquid rejuvenator products advertised on eBay which claim to
work about 95% of the time on failed batteries.
I am wondering if anyone in Elec Trak land has tried this and what your results have
been. For the money it certainly would appear to be an economical if only short term
solution. Then again it may just be time to purchase new batteries. I noticed that the
lithium's are comparatively priced, however from what I am reading on this site it sounds
as though they are pretty finicky on the amount of discharge they are able to handle
without internal damage.  Beyond my Pulse Tech desulfating charger I am still using
the EGT's on board "battery boiler" which has always done the job.
Any thoughts are most welcome.Autumn Train in NW Iowa