Re: (ET) Cheap Chinese Contactors (another fail)

I have lots of aircraft contactors various sizes for sale in the
Junquyard. Most of those planes ran a 28vdc system, don't remember the
coil voltage, might be 12v or 28v. I particularly recall having a crate of
28V 100a ones that are NOS WW2 Bomber units; I also recall having a NOS
Kilovac Bubba somewhere. Let me know what specs you need and I will be
happy to dig around and see whats in stock that might work for you and I
will shoot you pictures and prices, the websites down until after the
Turkey day recovery period. Dach.

    On Sunday, November 19, 2023 at 08:40:56 PM MST, Chris Zach via
Elec-trak <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu> wrote:

 > Huh.  How about that.  Buy cheap junky contactors, get cheap junky
> contactors.  Who knew?  :-\

The problem Dave is bad money drives out good: Does anyone make a
quality 36 volt contactor that's a replacement for the E15/20
contactors, or does no one make them and some random company is stamping
out junk?

> Everybody loves a deal, but it always used to amaze me that back in the
> days when the EV list was mostly hobbyists doing conversions, some of
> them
> would bend over backward to find the cheapest possible conversion parts.
> Then they bolted them into 2-ton or so electric vehicles that they drove
> at
> 60-70mph.  Hmm.

The problem is FINDING the parts. Hate to say it, but the contactor that
failed in the E15 was bought from Electric Tractor store, and I'm
guessing it came from the same supplier. Granted we can find old stock,
but there is less and less of it.

So. At some point we either switch to something that's still quality
(the old stock of Club car contactors), retrofit 12v contactors from
EVs, or come up with something else.

But as to the snark, I think you know me better than that....