Re: (ET) Lead Acid Batteries

Normal life for L-A batteries is around 5 years, under ideal conditions.  Over time and cycles, the storage capacity is reduced,   I've run them longer, but I wasn't coming close to using their rated capacity.  L-A batteries left alone long enough to self discharge below 6.0V for a 3 cell battery are taking damage beyond normal use as they go lower than that.  Even if you get hose 8yr old batteries to produce normal voltage, the capacity would be very diminished.

The active materials [and the grids / plates themselves crumble & corrode] gradually get disconnected from the plates, and end up on the bottom of the cell, eventually causing  leakage / self discharge.  Nothing you add will put the active material back onto the partially degraded plates.