Re: (ET) battery gases

If it's at 6.2 volts correct polarity and your meter is accurate, it's not
reversed, and it's not even that much discharged - maybe 25-50%.

I'd charge each 6 volt battery individually, preferably with a smart
charger, and then test each for capacity if possible.

There's a really cheap and easy way to test capacity of 12 volt batteries.

You can test your 6 volt batteries in series pairs, then swap the pairing
around to see which one is the real weakling.

For this test, you need a decent quality 12 volt input inverter, a 250
watt
heat lamp, and an old fashioned plug-in mechanical electric clock (check
thrift stores).

Set the clock for 12:00.  Power up the inverter and plug in the heat lamp
and clock.

The inverter will sound an alarm and/or shut down when the battery is
flat.
 Read the time from the clock.  Since your average battery current will
have been about 22 amps, multiply your running time in hours.decimals by
22
for your battery amp hours.  For example, if the light ran 6:20, that is
6.33 hours, and the weaker battery of the pair has a capacity of (6.33 *
22) == 139 amp hours.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA