(ET) Another industry publication article on electric tractors

Hmmm, something is changing out in the world of expensive diesel fuel. Is industry really waking up to smell the electrons?

Anyway, from this article in Assembly magazine which also covers a number of manufacturers and models, I appreciated this quote from Doosan Bobcat:

'Traditional hydraulic components have been completely replaced with a drive system that consists of electric cylinders and electric drive motors. The machine also uses only one quart of eco-friendly coolant compared to 57 gallons of fluid in its diesel-hydraulic equivalent counterpart.

'The all-electric platform enables instantaneous power and peak torque available at every operating speed. Operators no longer have to wait for the standard hydraulic system to build up power.

'“We went all the way in that direction, because we didn't think we would get anywhere near the runtime necessary if we just replaced an engine with a battery pack, [due to] the inefficiencies of the hydraulic system in general,” says Justin Odegaard, acceleration manager at Doosan Bobcat. “That was really the big push that made us go down the all-electric path rather than just electric powered.”'

'due to the iefficiencies of the hydraulic system in general'. I never thought I would see that phrase in print in general distribution media.

Full article online at:
https://www.assemblymag.com/articles/97053-electric-tractors-tackle-off-highway-jobs
Electric Tractors Tackle Off-Highway Jobs

--
Darryl McMahon
Freelance Project Manager (sustainable systems)

Do not mistake patience for weakness, nor action for strategy.