Re: (ET) Drive chain - how tight?

Thanks to Chris for the thoughts on this - it helped!

Some research in the library with all its books on the floor :-\ suggests
standard slack for drive chains of 2-4% of the distance between the
sprocket centers.  Some sources say 1-3%.  This is to be measured midway
along the chain span.

The R-36's transmission drive sprocket and axle sprocket centers are
abouit
12" apart, so the chain slack should be 1/4" to 3/8".

The amount of pressure to put on the chain for measuring this isn't quite
as clear, so I take it as "a little," or "a gentle finger press."  This
ends up being a somewhat snugger chain than I used to set on my red 26"
one-
speed coaster-brake Columbia back in the 1960s.

Someone I read along the way suggested chainsaw bar oil for lubricating
the
chain.  I've been using spray-on white lithium grease for that.  We'll see
whether the bar oil lasts longer, and how much glop and glump it attracts.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA