(ET) Drive chain - how tight?

The drive chain on my New Idea R36 riding mower has been slapping the slot
in the chassis of late.  Thought I, "can it really have stretched that
much?  Did I not snug down the pillow block bolts enough?

Nope and nope.

http://drmm.net/ev/images/oval.jpg

Yikes!  Wha hoppen???

Yes, I've been greasing it every season.  Just did so in March.

FIRST question: Have I been running the chain too tight?

BETTER question: How tight should the chain be?

The ER8-36 service manual explains how to adjust the chain tension, but
his
silent on HOW MUCH tension.

Any thoughts?

Please respond on the list (reply all) because this email sending address
receiveth not.

Much appreciated!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA