Re: (ET) Drive chain - how tight?

On 10 Sep 2022 at 13:15, Chris Zach via Elec-trak wrote:

> How tight did you have it?

About as tight as I'd set a bike chain.  So, loose enough that there was
noticeable play when reversing the drive sprocket by hand.

> Is it possible the pillow bearing just wore out?

Ummm ... quite possible.  Now that I think about it, I swapped out the
rear
axle for a used one in the spring of 2021.  I may have just left the
bearings on the used axle rather than bothering to swap them. Who knows
what kind of shape they were in?

I did grease them, though, and again this spring.

> The chain will produce thrust against the bearings during normal
> operation

Yep, I'd think that the force of pulling me up the moderate slope in my
pasture would be the main source of bearing stress.

>  when was it last replaced?

It's almost certainly factory original.

Thanks for the reply!

If y'all think that "bike chain tight" is an OK choice, I'll tension it to
that and button it up.

It does make me a bit uneasy that getting to that tension requires that
the
pillow blocks be all the way forward, though.  Might back it off a bit.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA