Re: (ET) Battery dilemma

On 6/3/2019 11:55 AM, Graham Allan wrote:
I'm surprised you are getting so little life out of these batteries. My last set of cheap 6v batteries (Exide brand) from Sam's Club lasted from 2003-2018, using the onboard GE charger. They were quite feeble near the end but could still get my light mowing tasks done. Of course your use pattern is probably completely different from mine, but maybe the float charger is doing something counterproductive?

I used a set or 2 from Sam's before, no problems.  At least 5 years life.  The used industrial ones usually went about 3 years, for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.  But the run up in the price of batteries a while back took out a lot of that advantage.

It appears that my problem is a bad battery, as shown in my other post to the list.  The others in the set seem to be ok if not ideal.

My mowing is probably around a half acre, but with hills.  I usually run in 2nd gear, full speed.  I tend not to mow frequently, so grass is on the tall side.  Meter in the yellow often.  If it's above half scale a lot, I'll drop to 1st gear.

 My ET is an odd model, with a permanent magnet traction motor, so only 3 forward speeds.  Has a 4 speed ground contact rated gearbox.

Model number  26A E14 AA
Serial number  LS13 486

 I've had people swear it doesn't exist, but I have what I have, I replaced the bearings when I got it, and I know what a PM motor is built like...