Re: (ET) ugh - bent / broke flange of blade hub

                  Staking is an operation that can be performed with a chisel and hammer. The object of the game is to distort small areas of both pieces so as to hold together the items for assembly. Once the clutch washers are installed and the bolt properly tightened  all the pieces will play well together once again.

                  The recommendation on trying NOT to use the bolt is from an abundance of caution. I had noticed some bolts not feeling quite right upon reassembly. I suspected distortion of the shaft thread being the culprit since the shaft is easily marked with a file.  The shafts soft . The bolts used were Grade 6 or higher.

                    So a suitable drift, or a cut down engine pushrod of the proper diameter could be used. Again, after decades of corrosive activity, those can be NASTY tight. Protect yourself.Things that should not break or slip, sometimes DO. :(

              THOSE will seem like a piece of cake if you ever have to remove the axle flanges. Those are an adventure. <VBG>

RJ Kanary

ASE® Certified Master Auto Technician, (Retired).