Re: (ET) Darn, E15 motor out too

On Mar 27, 2016 6:22 PM, "Christopher Zach" <cz alembic crystel com> wrote:
I wonder though WHY PUTTING IT IN STORAGE WRECKS MOTORS? I store the deck vertically against the wall because I don't want it to rust outside. But for the past 3 years now I have had to replace 1-2 deck motors every spring. I have no clue as to why...

​Speculating here, but does your shed have a floor that allows ground moisture​

​to enter?  Putting things in an enclosed shed that's effectively over exposed ground is asking for trouble.  Especially in late fall and early spring when the temperatures are in the 40s and 50s and the humidity gets even higher.  Even worse if the shed is in the sun and knocks both up a notch.​  Then again, if that was the culprit I would expect to see rust get everywhere there is exposed steel.

Or maybe you give the decks a nice hose-down and cleaning before putting them up for the winter?  I lost a motor to a seized bearing after relying on the fairly useless "seals" on the original motors.  During the season you cook the water out the next time you mow.  Not so for winter storage.  So far I'm having much better luck with sealed bearings.

Chris