Re: (ET) Mower deck crisis!

Last time I was out at Harold Zimmerman's place he had lots of nice used deck shells.  Shipping would be rough though.  I have heard Fastenal will ship heavy items to their closest location for a pretty cheap price.  I've heard of people using Greyhound as well.

From: "james" <jmurray1232 rochester rr com>
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:57:38 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) Mower deck crisis!

I decided to go the "converted" route with a few changes.  My mower deck
of choice is a brand new 54 incher...because bigger is always
better....!  I discovered a source for new 1hp mower deck motors,
mounted them to the new deck, built a nice frame to contain it all and
then  headed out across the lawn....:-)

That is when the wheels fell off the fantasy. :'( Seems a 54 inch mower
with a full width striping roller will not turn in front of our
tractors. Going straight was great, turning not so much.   So I would
recommend  a fully suspended mower deck on casters.

My other problem is the motor height.  I would love to shove my deck
under the middle of my tractor.  I have a new idea  mid mount one.  But
it is exceptionally tall.  I would love to have one of the cub cadet
Zeon mower decks to play with....!

My current configuration has me towing my mower and this works
surprisingly well.   I have lots of run time and the modern 1hp motors
don't seem to use hardly any more juice than the old mower motors.

Maybe at the swap meet in Vermont there might be some new inspirations!