Re: (ET) charger, desulfator

On 23 May 2014 at 10:43, Michael S Briggs wrote:

> Does it seem like using a low-power smart charger for finishing
> the charging (after initial charging most of the way with the OEM
> charger and
> Landis controller) would be a worthwhile expense?

I think I'd just dispense with the add-on controller altogether.  Charge
with the GE charger for a couple of hours to whack the batteries with the
initial charging current they need, then switch over to the smart charger.

One thing to be aware of is that the taps in the ET's battery pack can
cause
some pretty significant imbalances in the pack, especially when you're
plowing or otherwise using the lift a lot.  If you don't do something
about
this, you're going to have problems unless you equalize the pack often -
maybe on every single charge.  Unfortunately, equalizing that much tends
depreciate the batteries more than is ideal (overcharging the ones that
don't work as hard).

The elegant fix for this is a DC:DC converter to supply the lights and
lift
from the full 36v of the pack.

Another approach is to replace the lights and lift with 36 volt
equivalents.
I think this has been discussed here before, so you might check the
archive
for more info.  If memory serves, though, 36v bulbs exist for forklifts
(but
might be pricey), and IIRC somebody mentioned that one of the late
versions
of the ET (a Wheel Horse or New Idea maybe?) used a 36v lift.  How hard
it'd
be to find a 36v lift, I don't know.  (Any ideas, folks?)

Or you could use my cheap hack.  I have my E15 set up with a 24v lift tap
and a 12v light tap.  I charge the pack with three 12v somewhat-smart
chargers.

If you did it that way, maybe you could go me one better, and use a 3-bank
marine charger.  Something like this should work.  There are many others,
this is just one I found in a quick web search.

http://store.minnkotamotors.com/products/607641/MK_345PC_%283_bank%29

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA