Re: (ET) charger, desulfator

On 22 May 2014 at 14:28, Michael S Briggs wrote:

> So if my OEM charger is working fine (seems to be), with the
> Landis charger, you're saying there would be no benefit to using a
> maintainer/desulfator?

A smarter charger will take better care of the batteries, that's for sure.

However, there's no need for a "desulfator."

The "pulse" gadgets have their proponents.  However, all the testimonials
I've ever seen are anecdotal.  They aren't backed up by any real data.

Don't misunderstand here, sulfation is a real phenomenon.  It's an actual
loss of active material able to participate in the charging reaction.  It
results from chronic undercharging (which in my experience is
significantly
less common than overcharging).

The key is that actual sulfation - if you have it - is NOT reversible by
any
electrical or mechanical means (except perhaps rebuilding the battery).

However, it IS possible to restore some capacity to an old battery,
sulfated
or otherwise, simply by giving it a long, slow equalizing charge.

You can get even more capacity back by cycling it repeatedly - a normal
discharge followed by a normal charge. The more you use the battery, the
more capacity it gets, kind of like when we exercise.  If you stop,
though,
just as with people who work out, the battery eventually goes back to the
capacity it had before (at most).

You can do that just fine with an ordinary good quality battery charger.
You don't need an overpriced gadget with blinking lights.

Over the years I've challenged several desulfator fans to run a carefully
documented double-blind test on a set of allegedly sulfated old batteries,
half with the pulsing desulfator, the other half following the above
regimen
with with a good adjustable battery charger, and publush the results.  No
one has yet taken me up on it.  Want to be the first?  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA