Re: (ET) Further front lift disassembly woes

If memory serves me you need to remove the big gear in order ot be able to remove the motor can.  The spur" gear is holding it in there.  You can also remove that flat end plate by cutting through the plastic coating.
ebay is a good source of used parts motors.  Harold & Jim probably have used or rebuilt ones available too.

From: "Charlie" <medievalist gmail com>
To: "Elec-Trak" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Friday, May 2, 2014 9:53:46 AM
Subject: (ET) Further front lift disassembly woes

I thought I'd just peel off the plastic coating that the motor
assembly was dipped in at the factory, but it hung on like grim death
- it's not coming off without solvents.  Instead I used a knife and
whittled away enough to get a nut-driver on the long bolts and then
cut around the casing seams.

But I still can't get the guts to come out... basically I have a
one-inch gap I can peer into.   I can't figure out how to release the
worm gear from it's housing, either, and the worm acts like its cut
into the end of the shaft rather than being a separate part.  :(

Do both ends of the casing come off?  Like, does the end plate that
has the electrical connector come off after the bolts are loose?  I
haven't had any luck with it, but I could always use a mallet on it if
it's supposed to come off.

But after blasting out the couple tablespoons of black powder I can
see a set of contacts that look like they're probably held together by
a bimetallic spring, presumably a thermally controlled voltage cutout?
 I can also see that the brushes are about as thick as a piece of
paper, and the commutator is deeply grooved.

If I can find an affordable newly made or NOS replacement for this
motor I should probably replace it.  Otherwise I guess I'm going to be
whittling some new brushes...

--Charlie