Re: (ET) battery terminal question

You might try cleaning it up one more time, then coating both clamp and
post
with petroleum jelly (such as Vaseline).  Then make sure you get the clamp
good and tight.  Be careful not to twist the post when you tighten; use
two
wrenches if possible.

I find that Vaseline works just as well as any colored gunk from the auto
shop, at about one-tenth the price or less.  You may even have some in the
medicine cabinet already.  I don't recommend that you tell your
Significant
Other what you're using it for, though, as that can generate some
opposition. ;-)

Normally I put a light coating of Vaseline on the outside of the terminals
after tightening the clamps.  But in this case it may help to put it
inside.

If you have some, a perhaps better glop for the purpose is NoAlOx,
Penetrox,
or similar grease used on aluminum wire when making electrical wiring
connections.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA