Re: (ET) Fwd: damaged small contactor in Electrak

Well…… some people don’t throw out “stuff” and I don’t throw out emails…. 30 years ago I put Potter Brumfeld relays in my E-15 and haven’t touched them since… here’s an email from 2005 from Gordon Trump on replacing them…..

…Walt

-----Original Message-----
From: elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu [mailto:elec-trak-bounces cosmos phy tufts edu] On Behalf Of Gordon Trump
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2005 4:57 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: (ET) E15 relays if any interest

I replaced my dashboard relays with the following items. They are from MCM InOne (electronics distributor)  in Ohio. The catalog is on-line.

relay 28-4950         $6 each  DPDT 10 amps

socket 28-4951     $7 each

The relays can be mounted in the sockets of course- they are small and narrow, good fit. The relays also have upside-down mounting ears so you can mount them "terminals up" and use the existing push--on connectors. My connectors are weak and corroded so I used the sockets.

These relays are 24 volts 600 ohm coils. I used a 270 ohm/ 2 watt  resistor in series with each coil. They operate fine and do not get nearly as hot as the old relays.