Re: (ET) Trouble with my C-185

My I-5 had a similar failure that was due to a bad Forward contactor, one of the 6-terminal types. Those devices depend on a spring (and gravity) to close the normally-closed contacts, whereas the normally-open contacts are closed by the rather hefty electromagnet coil. If the F contactor's normally-closed contacts are open, then you'll loose forward motion. The motor will *not* draw any current but will act as if one of its armature connections was missing (which it effectively is!).

The older, double-stacked, contactors don't have that problem because both sets of contacts are actuated by electromagnetic action.

Larry Chace, Ithaca, NY I-5 and E15