Re: (ET) Lithium ion battery sources

On 17 Apr 2013 at 11:16, Bill Alburty wrote:

> I'd like to put in Lithium ion batteries. I'd need 36 volts worth and
> about 20 ampere-hours capacity, I think. I might consider a charger
> too Where are the supply sources for these batteries and what should I
> expect to pay?

I recommend LiFePO4 batteries for their inherent stability and good cycle
life.  They aren't quite as high in specific energy as some others, but
they're a lot harder to set on fire. ;-)

About a year and a half ago, I converted a lead scooter to lithium. I
didn't
have any previous experience working with lithium so I decided a pre-
configured battery / BMS / charger package was the safe way to go.  I
decided on a 24v 10ah package from Ping Battery of China, having read good
reviews for their batteries from the e-bike folks on such forums as
Endless
Sphere.  Mine is indeed working nicely so far.

Ping offer 24 to 60 volt batteries in various capacities.  On their
website
I see 36v batteries at 10 to 30ah.  A 36v 20ah battery is $518.  I paid
$80
for shipping, IIRC.  That was for two of these batteries, one as a spare,
but I doubt that shipping one would be much cheaper.  I'd guess that a lot
of that $$$ goes for liability insurance for the shipper.

Mine replaced two 12v lead batteries with a blue shrinkwrapped lump that
was
just slightly larger than one 12v lead battery.  Range is much improved
and
there are no worries about leaving the battery at half charge or so for
days
or weeks (you shouldn't do that with lead - but on the contrary, I've read
that lithium is best stored at 50-70% charge if possible).

Hope this helps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA