Re: (ET) Wanted, information on installing Lithium cells in my EGT 200

On 11 Apr 2013 at 5:01, RJ Kanary wrote:

> I would check with the engineers at Boeing before proceeding. :)

I didn't miss the smiley, but let's put things in perspective.  Millions
of
lithium ion batteries are serving safely in electronic devices of all
kinds
all over the world.  When they're properly managed and supervised
(electronically) they're safe.  Judging whether Boeing did this "properly"
will be left as an exercise for the reader.  ;-)

Lithium ion secondary cells are fussy.  That's why they're not sold in
your
local drugstore alongside the ones with the pink bunny.

Unless you're an engineer, you're probably best off (and safest) buying a
complete, matched, properly configured lithium battery system - cells, BMS
(Battery Management System) and charger.  Such systems are offered by some
of the EV parts vendors, but it adds significant cost to those direct-
imported, Chinese-made $1.30-per-amp-hour LiFePO4 cells.

Someone may come along here and argue that some EV hobbyists are doing
fine
without any BMS.  Actually, these folks DO have BMSes - THEY are the
BMSes,
testing and monitoring their own cells.

This requires care and attention, not unplug and go.  It's for the kind of
guys who, 40-50 years ago, couldn't go 24 hours without popping the hood
of
their cars to tinker with something. For those of us who just want to USE
the tractor, and not worry about whether the garage might burn down or we
might kill an expensive cell or two, a BMS is mandatory.

All in all, I'm with the folks who suggest that lead batteries remain the
better choice for ETs.  Their weight is a good thing in this application.

Also, thanks to use that's mostly weekly or less, and reasonable discharge
currents, lead batteries have a quite satisfactory lifetime in ET service,
despite abuse from that blunderbuss of a charger.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA