From: Andrew Poush [mailto:agp vt edu]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2013 9:37 AM
To: Elec-Trak List
Subject: Re: (ET) E-15 pulley removal -> drive belt modifications

I appreciate the feedback so far. I had already seen the thread in the forum about the synchronous belt upgrade and that's why I wanted to copy it. But there's no info on procedure to remove the pulleys and that is where I am concerned I may be biting off too much. The thing that is bothering me about the V-belts is that there are two of them. It seems they don't stretch at the same rate so I always end up with a looser one that slips and then the other one gets worn out quicker. If it were a single belt I could easily adjust it but this tandem arrangement just leaves me unhappy. I have been fighting a bronchitis and just got a good look at the motor pulley today. I saw a hex set screw holding it onto the shaft and that the face of the pulley has no threaded holes to aid in removal. Also noted that the clearance required for removing the pulley cannot be met with the motor in place. So now I am considering scrapping the synchronous upgrade if I can solve the issue another way.

Has anyone tried running V-belts of slightly differing properties (tensile strength or thickness)?

Andy

On Feb 10, 2013, at 10:26 PM, "Jim Coate" <lists freerangeelectric com> wrote:

Andy Poush wrote:

> I have had an E-15 ... needing to

> remove the pulleys (for doing a synchronous belt upgrade).

I wouldn't rush to 'upgrade' belts, but if I wanted to get the pulley off I would plan on dropping the transmission. The frame may make it impossible to slide of the pulley once loose and it certainly gets in the way of using a puller or just getting in to the set screw. Lots of penetrating oil and patience as don't want to crack the pulley near the set screw or break off an edge with a puller. I think Mark H is in your area if need a hand he might be willing.

Using a synchronous belt means it has teeth and can't slip. A properly adjusted notched V-belt won't slip under normal use and provides a bit of a safety as it can slip if something unexpected happens. Unless you are building a tractor for show or pulling competition use only, where know the load will always be smoothly applied.

Jim Coate

Free Range Electric

www.ElectricTractorStore.com