Re: (ET) 36 to 14 volt DC-DC converter (was Today's lessons with heavy snow)

O utdoor
P ower
E quipment
O peration

The folks that designed and produced these tractors.

My observation applied directly to the application mentioned in the original post.Reliable efficient ,inexpensive control for that application is apparently only constructed from Unobtanium. :)

It appears that you were victimized by the Field Reversing scheme that was in vogue during the E-12 S and the early E-15.Obviously an idea that was not well thought out, and poorly executed.Even a guy that fixed cars and trucks for a living could see that was a good one to repair, but not a good one to own.

       {Unless the later armature reversed controls were installed.}<VBG>

         Funny, they got it RIGHT on the E-20 since Day One.

TheApollo Era controls have no potted boxes of mystery nor any IC that will likely fall out of favor and become unavailable long before the clicky-clack control parts are all dried up.There is very little evidence of the 'throw-away society' idea being used in the planning and execution of the original product.Solid state devices? A different time, a different mind set. But, this is all one disabled Luddite's observation, not to be taken as Gospel. A third generation remnant of a family that has been repairing electrical and electronics contrivances since the dawn of commercial broadcast radio.
[And I STILL ended up fixing cars and trucks.]