Re: (ET) ET - DC Motors 101

Chris,
   These are technically compound motors but classified as stabilized
shunt as the "compounding" is very light.  In some applications we may
design a heavy series to droop the speed a lot more with load to prevent
breaking something.  Many forklift motors are series wound for high
torque starting and higher speed as the load goes down from acceleration
but current limited to prevent overspeed but the transmission usually
holds it back.

   Typical shunt motors run faster at no load, droop to rated speed at
full load and rise in speed at overload (because of that armature
reaction effect).  Very bad if you have 2 motors running a steel mill
for example.  One can go "unloaded" and the other "overloaded" at the
same speed which is why a stabilizing shunt winding was used to always
make the speed droop with load and prevent these bad things from
happening.  We make motor-generator sets for large mining draglines and
the generators have a differential field to cause the voltage to go from
600 at no load to 40 volts (at twice rated amps) when the bucket hits a
BFR (big friggin rock) so the motors get a lot of current and low volts
to power thru the ground.  It's all in the magnetics with high tech
controls connected to the joystick.

  The E20 motor is a "stacked out" E15 motor.  The guts are slightly
longer to provide more torque in same speed and frame.  It's all
diameter squared times length.  With different control schemes, the E15
may close the step voltage solenoid a little faster or not exactly at 24
volts... I notice that on mine too.
Now, I'm curious...
...Walt