Re: (ET) ET - DC Motors 101

Chris,
   A pure shunt motor would have no field except for some residual.  As
you state, a compound motor should produce flux in the main field
because current flows thru the series winding if armature current
applied at standstill with no field.
   The E12/15/20 motors are stabilized shunt which is technically a very
light series or compound winding.

E15 - 466 turns in main field x 1.85 amps = 862 amp turns of flux.
      - 1 turn x 25 rated armature amps in stabilized shunt (compound)
winding = 25 amp turns of flux or more but only a small % or rated
field.

  Your E20 probably turned due to residual magnetic field plus they
usually shifted these brushes off neutral for best commutation which
gives the motor a "series" affect and can cause it to turn.  Don't
expect any torque though.  One test for larger DC (400HP +) is to apply
400 amps to the armature and see if the rotor turns without field...
little dangerous but checks symmetry and neutral.  If it is off much, it
will try to take off.

  Would not recommend trying to run these motors without field... the
repair outweighs the thrill of seeing a motor overspeed for sure!

..Walt