Re: (ET) ET - DC Motors 101

Indeed, that is a lot of info, well thought out and presented. Would you consider these shunt motors, compound motors, or something else entirely?

I'm still curious as to why my E20 motor will start up without load and without a field and the E15 motor will not (nor will the E12 motor I have on the pressure washer). I'm driving both the E15 and the E20 these days, and what gets me is that the E20 just feels smoother at a given speed and does not have a problem going from stop to full field/full armature without delay. The E15 lurches even from speed 2 to 3, it feels significantly more "rough".

This might be due to the transmission, but it is from personal observation on specific machines. I think I will get out there this weekend with a stopwatch and time both tractors going up my hill forwards and backwards to see how they do. They both have the same battery technology, so the only difference should be the shunts in series with the armature, pulley ratios, and the motors.

Chris