Re: (ET) E15 motor is not a compound.

This tutorial has the potential to clear things up, or muddy them up even more.<VBG> Let's vote on which type of compound motor the ET traction motor most closely resembles. :)

http://www.wisc-online.com/objects/ViewObject.aspx?ID=IAU13908

RJ

On 9/17/2012 10:50 AM, Chad Bush wrote:
Still confused about this?

From what I gather, the E-15 motor is only different from the E-20 motor (field-wise) in that it does not have a flux-compensating field for increased load on the armature. The compensating field makes complete sense to me with a large DC motor and a heavy load: allows the motor to run more efficiently so that it doesn't burn itself up under a heavy load.

Like David said, we should consider these sep-ex motors, which also means that without the field being excited, the armature should not turn. The E-15 motor may have a field winding in series with the armature, but if I remember correctly, the main field has to be excited separately. This can be confirmed by looking at the schematics. GE has excited the field separately, but also simultaneously with the armature through the L solenoid on an early model with Card 1.

All in all, it doesn't matter if there's a series winding or not on the E-15 motor. You have to excite the main field separately in order to have the field weakening available for higher speeds. If a motor is TRULY series wound, the main field will be in series with the armature and it will spin when the armature is excited. A good example of this is the hand-held cultivator/edger. They are series-wound field motors.

Chad

-----Original Message-----
From: The CZ Unit <cz alembic crystel com>
To: elec-trak <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sat, Sep 15, 2012 10:55 pm
Subject: Re: (ET) E15 motor is not a compound.

On 9/15/2012 8:44 PM, RJ Kanary wrote:
       The E-15 traction motor 5BCY56RA6 does have a field winding in
series with the armature.I just dragged three of them out to confirm
it.Funny, they didn't seem THAT heavy when I put them away before the
spinal cord injury. <G>

Hm. Then why does this one not spin at all with no field, even with no load?