Re: (ET) how does the late model I5 speed control work?

Ok, I went out and floored it on my E20. Good wiring, newer disconnect, all power wires were cleaned and assembled, BB600 cells, fully charged.

It goes right to full power, full field. You can hear the motor whine, it does not go into field weakening until the tractor is well underway and stable. Battery volts are in the middle of the meter, so it's not low powering out at the battery. All contactors engaged.

Now the E20 has two differences from the E15: First the motor pulley is smaller so you get more power with less speed. Which can be made up for by the additional speeds. Second, the motor does have a compensation coil on the field that is *in series* with the armature. Thus under high power draws in forward it helps to strengthen the field and reduce the potential amp draw at the armature. I don't know/don't think the E15 has this.

That might be the whine, the secondary field is limiting armature current. The drawback to this is that in reverse the tractor will pull way *MORE* current since the field is reversed and is acting against the natural field circuit. Ergo progressive field weakening. However since the high speeds are locked out in reverse this is only weird when going backwards up a hill in D2.

Anyway, the E15 motor is much more jerky, I guess this is the lack of compensating field and larger pulley. Which would explain why they put that whole speed reduction thing in. The E12 has a similar motor so they put in the centri clutch.

Chris