Re: (ET) how does the late model I5 speed control work?

On 9/4/2012 10:04 PM, Chad Bush wrote:
Now, when going up a hill, essentially the same things happen, just for
a different reason. If the pack is weak or some connections are loose,
you won't get enough voltage/current to enable that final armature
speed. What the Power Pulse button does is that it actually shorts the
first field resistor momentarily, giving the armature a chance to surge
a little faster and allow a voltage spike across the armature (hopefully
to a solid 36V). Once it reaches that speed and the power pulse button
is released, it should be at the final armature speed without field
weakening.

Um. The power pulse is designed to work on the E12 tractors. They have a centrifugal clutch on the motor (I have an E12 motor in my shed) that locks out speed 3 (top speed) till the motor is up to speed.

This can mean that your tractor is not going to get going if heavily loaded (it's basically going to be a toaster) so pushing power-pulse bypasses the clutch and allows full power to a stalled motor. And off you will go.

The E-20 does not have any lockout like that which I know of. Cruise control simply holds in speed 4 with the pedal released, it does nothing in speeds 1-3.

I'll go outside now and floor the tractor and see what happens.

Chris