Re: (ET) Charger out.

Are you saying that you measure 39.4 volts at the charger output when it's
not connected to the tractor?  That's pretty low, below the float voltage
of
the battery, and it sounds like it drops further when you try to draw
current.

Since you're getting hum, the timer is working, so there are really only
about 3 things that could be wrong with that simple old buzz-box - an open
transformer winding, an open diode, or an out-of-spec capacitor.  Well,
maybe a loose connection.

I would check first for an open diode.  You'll need an ohmmeter that puts
enough voltage across the diodes to to forward bias them.  Many DMMs won't
on their resistance settings, so will read "open" even on good ones.  But
these days most decent DMMs have a "diode check" function that does this.
If you don't have such a DMM, you can check the diodes with a 6v battery
and
a small 6v or 12v light bulb.  They should conduct when forward biased and
not when reverse biased.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA