Re: (ET) Charger out.

On 7/6/2012 2:35 PM, Chad Bush wrote:
I would assume you know that the master disconnect has to be ON to
charge, so with that, you should make sure the circuit breaker on the
front dash panel has not been tripped. If that is fine, then you have a
bad diode. Sounds like the charger is turning on since it hums, so the
timer motor is fine. You can make sure that the charger is grounded:
ground lead from plastic connector goes to transformer frame and
secondary center lead ties to a post on the base along with the negative
lead coming up through the frame with the positive lead for the charger.
I would replace the cap and both diodes at the same time. What did you
do to "rebuild" it?

The master disconnect on this tractor is kinda... well it doesn't have a handle. Life's like that. And the tractor drives, so that's not it.

I tried resetting the breaker by pressing in, didn't make a difference to the battery voltage, which was interesting.

When I rebuilt it, the tractor had sat buried in leaves and debris, and the charger was "sad". I took it out, chipped off the rotted wood of the baseboard, cut a new baseboard to match, cut all the holes and countersinks and everything, cleaned off the components, and put it all back together with new bolts, love, and new connectors.

It's possible the diode blew, I wasn't able to test it last night due to having to unplug everything but I would have expected no voltage on the output if the diodes were bad.

Chris

Chad