(ET) Charging Thru Accessory Plug, Replacing Reverse Relay, Steering

Tractor A: my "main" E15, with steering trouble due to poorly meshing
rack and pinion
Tractor B: my "backup" E15, with no reverse

Good news first: I was able to replace the fried reverse relay on my B
tractor with the relay from my A tractor, and now Tractor B is ready
for mowing (fingers crossed).  This involved swapping the batteries
from Tractor A to B as well.

Except: I typically charge my tractors with a Soneil charger via the
accessory plug, however when I plugged the charger into Tractor B and
turned it on the Fuel Gauge Needle didn't move up into the while
"charge" zone as it usually did.  Instead, for the time being, I'm
using the built-in charger.  Now, when charging, the Fuel Gauge Needle
is slightly higher in the green zone (i.e. something is happening) -
is this standard behavior?  Will it gradually move toward CHRG as the
batteries get charged? It's been awhile since I've used the built-in
charger.  How do I debug the accessory plug issue -- is there a fuse
somewhere between the plug and the batteries?

On an unrelated now, how is the horizontal steering shaft supposed to
be connected to the rack?  There are matched holes which I have an
undersize bolt threaded through.   Is a cotter pin supposed to be in
there?   If so, what size?

jr