Re: (ET) Charging Thru Accessory Plug, Replacing Reverse Relay, Steering

On 5/26/12 12:13 PM, john rieffel wrote:
> ...  Now, when charging, the Fuel Gauge Needle
> is slightly higher in the green zone (i.e. something is happening) -
> is this standard behavior?  Will it gradually move toward CHRG as the
> batteries get charged?

Yes, the needle will slowly move up as the charge progresses (several hours). However, as someone else said, if the diodes or capacitor are tired, it may not reach as high of a voltage as it should. On the third hand, there is a lot of variation between different meters, so the "B" tractor meter may just read lower than the "A" tractor meter for the same condition.

>  How do I debug the accessory plug issue -- is there a fuse
> somewhere between the plug and the batteries?

I'd put a voltmeter across the terminals on the back side of the accessory receptacle (with main disconnect on). If don't read anything, then time to trace the wires backwards and look for a break. If get a good reading, try plugging in the external charger and see if the voltage changes. If not, could be the receptacle itself as was suggested.