Re: (ET) Thinking more about this water tank thing....

Maybe a gear pump is something to look at. They would be reversible, can be sized for your desired flow rate, and certainly can build plenty of pressure (think hydraulics). You might have to add a pressure switch or unloader for protection.

Nick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Zach" <cz alembic crystel com>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:35 PM
Subject: (ET) Thinking more about this water tank thing....

Ok, it's looking like what I will need is a well jet pump. A reasonable Craftsman one can provide 40 pounds of pressure at up to 10gpm which is way more than I will need to run a garden hose.

Problem is all well pumps are built for 110 volts. And while I could provide 110v with the rotary inverter, that just seems to be the height of silly.

So where can I get a well pump *without* a motor? Then what kind of motor would I need? Do I have to go with a motor the size of the E12 shunt, or would a simpler motor like a deck motor be enough?

And are well pumps reversible (probably not, but maybe) Worst case I could just plumb in a set of valves and reverse the water flow to the pump.

This is starting to take shape in my brain

Chris