Re: (ET) How often to charge large frame tractors sitting idle?

FYI...The last two ATV batteries I have bought, came dry.  The battery came in a box with a separate sealed plastic bottle with the electrolyte in it.  I had to fill the battery before I installed it in the ATV.  These are the only batteries I've had to do this with.  All the others (cars, ET's, garden tractors, etc.) have came filled when purchased.  Apparently, they are still selling dry batteries for motorcyles/ATV's.  Maybe because of the smaller volume of electrolyte (less environmental impact in case of spill).??

Billy Martin
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:56 PM
Subject: Re: (ET) How often to charge large frame tractors sitting idle?

On 28 Jan 2012 at 17:50, John J Casey wrote:

> my batteries may  have sat at the dealer for 3-4 months but the
> electrolyte was added  when I committed to buy.

Dry charging used to be common 30+ years ago, and I think most or all of the
ETs were shipped to the dealers with dry charged batteries (someone correct
me if that's wrong).  However, this is the first I've heard of it in recent
years.  I seem to recall that it was largely discontinued in consumer
batteries because of environmental concerns, though I don't know the
details.

The last dry charged battery I bought was a motorcycle battery in the early
1990s.  I haven't seen one offered since, though a quick online search just
now turned up a few companies in India offering such batteries on Alibaba.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Note: mail sent to the "etpost" address will not reach me.  To send