Re: (ET) How often to charge large frame tractors sitting idle?

On 28 Jan 2012 at 17:50, John J Casey wrote:

> my batteries may  have sat at the dealer for 3-4 months but the
> electrolyte was added  when I committed to buy.

Dry charging used to be common 30+ years ago, and I think most or all of
the
ETs were shipped to the dealers with dry charged batteries (someone
correct
me if that's wrong).  However, this is the first I've heard of it in
recent
years.  I seem to recall that it was largely discontinued in consumer
batteries because of environmental concerns, though I don't know the
details.

The last dry charged battery I bought was a motorcycle battery in the
early
1990s.  I haven't seen one offered since, though a quick online search
just
now turned up a few companies in India offering such batteries on Alibaba.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA