Re: (ET) ET Deck Painting & Rust Converting

I can decisively report that hardware store "epoxy" appliance spray paint
isn't of much use.  I used a grinder and metal etchant, then primed and
painted my R36's deck with it.  The rust was poking through a couple years
later.  Currently the paint is peeling off in sheets.

I plan to have it sandblasted, and may try two-part catalyzed acrylic
enamel
this time.

A thought - someone mentioned filling in the pits with Bondo.  I'm a bit
skeptical.  From my experience, that stuff is pretty soft.

When I was a pup many years ago, doing auto body work, I used a very hard
filler called Black Magic on rust.  For that purpose it held up far better
than generic mud I bought by the gallon, which I think was called Easy
White.

Black Magic was very hard and a real bear to sand - it took a grinder.
But
it would hold metal that was rusting through from the back for ages, while
the cheap stuff would bubble up in months.

I haven't seen Black Magic offered in many a year, though.  I wonder if
there's anything equivalent available today.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA